There is a quote from H. L. Hunt that has become one of my coaching mantras:
“Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work.”
Let’s break this simple, very straightforward quote down and analyze it – because it contains the formula for all success in life.
- Decide what you want. This is the easy part for just about everyone. Dreaming about what you want your future to look like is easy and fun, right? It is, but it is, unfortunately, where most people stop – and that’s what keeps them from succeeding in the attainment of their goals and dreams.
- Decide what you are willing to exchange for it. This is where things start to get interesting. The old expression, “There ain’t no free lunch,” definitely applies here. For everything you want to accomplish in life, you will pay a price. The questions are:
- What is the price?
- Are you willing to pay that price?
- Is there a return for the price paid?
- What impact will the price have on others?
- Establish your priorities. Once you know what you want and have agreed, with yourself and others in your life, on the price to be paid, the next step is to establish your priorities – the top things you must focus on to get what it is that you want.
- Go to work. When you’ve completed steps 1-3, the only thing that remains is to take action – work on achieving what you’ve established as your highest priorities.
Success isn’t hard – but it does require you to follow a process. Follow this simple formula and success will be yours!