Thomas Carlyle once said, “A man without a purpose is like a ship without a rudder.”
While these words are true, many people are not willing to invest the time and effort to dig deep and find their purpose. Perhaps one of the reasons they are not willing to do this is because they haven’t considered the tremendous benefits of discovering their life purpose.
The Benefits of Purpose
Consider the following benefits you can derive for discovering your unique purpose:
- Clear Priorities. Think about how your life would be different if you had a sure way to determine what is most important for you to be doing both now and in the future.
- Balance. Would having a clearly defined purpose help you achieve better balance among your work, home, and community roles? I can assure you that it will.
- Choosing among opportunities. When life presents you with choices, having a purpose serves as a filter to help you make appropriate decisions.
- Reality check. Before you can get where you want to go in life, you must first know where you are. Having a purpose gives a clear understanding of your starting point.
- Future vision. While having a reality check gives you a good understanding of where you are, it also provides a foundation for you to create a vision for your future based on your purpose.
- Eliminates regrets. If you are truly pursuing your purpose, you can live a life free of regrets about what you haven’t accomplished.
Conclusion: Purpose is one of the most powerful tools you can use to achieve a life of success, happiness, and fulfillment.